Sunday, September 16, 2007

This Is England


I wanted to see this film the moment I saw these two images. I had no idea what it was about but these shots said so much I needed to know the story behind it. And boy am I glad I traveled to NYC to see it. It still has not made it's way to my tiny town. In this film Shane Meadows tells the story of a boy named Shaun who has no friends but has plenty of gruff spunk. Imagine Ray Winstone as a child and you get Thomas Turgoose who plays the lead. Shaun's Dad has died in the Falklands War, he's feeling lonely and lost and he becomes friends with some Skinheads (the music loving kind). Joining this crew brings friends and dare I saw happiness back to his life. But it is short lived as a former member who is a truly racist Skinhead returns from jail and makes a power play for the heart of the group and especially for the easily influenced Shaun. One of the most frightening moments in this film is the portrayal of how racist politicians traveled to places like pub back rooms to bring out the worst in people in order to gain their votes. This is a powerful film which among many highlights has brought us the unforgettable character of young Shaun.

Favorite Moment: Shaun's first meeting with the Braces & Laces crew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home