Saturday, March 10, 2007

300

Bloody and beautiful. I was drawn to this film by the teasing and amazing visuals but concerned that the violence might be too much. It is too much but this film is shot in such a compelling style I could not turn away. I still have to read up on the technology of how they crafted these painting-like stop action sequences. The style complements the audacity of the story as 300 Spartan soldiers fight off hordes of armies amassed by Persia. The battle sequences are unrelenting and nicely distinct. The director Zack Snyder has crafted a great visual and narrative tale which bodes well for his next project Watchmen. I can't believe that film might actually get made. If he succeeds maybe he can take a shot at Neuromancer next and become the successful director of impossible projects. The cast is great especially the exceedingly fit Gerard Butler as King Leonidas. I was lucky to see the film in Digital Projection which was stunning.
Memorable moment: Leonidas cutting his way through waves of the enemy shot with the camera shooting him in profile. Reminded me of a similar shot in Oldboy.
Film # 105

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home