Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunshine

Danny Boyle has quietly moved his way up my favorite director list. I love all his films....Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, A Life Less Ordinary, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Millions and his latest film Sunshine. I love all of them. What do I love? His visual style, his musical choices, his casting choices and his script choices. Sunshine is visually stunning. The cast is terrific. I initially was disappointed in the story. I think it was more the slow pace, than Alex Garland's script. But I have been haunted by this film since I saw it at the beginning of August so I have no argument against it. I realized later why the film resonated so much with me. At the end credits he plays a song by the band I Am Kloot. In an interview Danny Boyle explained that he had been listening to their Gods & Monsters album throughout the making of the film. The film is infused with the atmosphere of this album. Since 1995 I've taken this album on every road and plane trip to entertain and enthrall me. How awesome to have two of my favorite entertainments fused together.

Favorite moment: The audacity of a shot of Cappa touching the sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home