Saturday, March 04, 2006

Munich


Snore. I saw “The Constant Gardner” and “Syriana” at the end of 2005 and basically they ruined “Munich” for me. By the time I got to Spielberg’s international political drama I was spoiled by filmmakers who showed me realistic international settings without romanticizing them. Avner meeting his contact in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower in a cute open market paled in comparison to actual locations used realistically in the other films mentioned above. Very bummed that the narrative and the settings let me down because the cast was filled with favorites: Geoffrey Rush, Ciaran Hinds, Eric Bana, Daniel Craig. Strong cast, weak everything else.
Favorite scene: Avner having family dinner with Papa’s family. This should have been the heart of the movie, not the shameless use of the Trade Towers. Is subtlety really so difficult?
6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home