Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Island

How is it that this film is as amusing and absorbing as it is? I laughed and I gasped throughout this ode to running for your life. I want to believe it was made tongue in cheek but it was probably just Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson acting tongue in cheek while everyone else treated the material seriously. The action sequences are terrific and eye popping. The bar bell highway chase seen was just awesome. Sean Bean is fun and nasty as the scientist with the God complex. The story is somewhere between Blade Runner and Gattaca (not in quality just in plot points) as are some of the visuals. Michael Bay knows how to technically make the big action thriller, can't fault him there and I would only be a film snob if I did not admit this film is just fun. And I ain't no snob!
Memorable moment: Bar bells crushing cars!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home