Sunday, January 20, 2008

Walk Hard &Timeline Double Feature

No I did not actually see these two films on the same bill, but it wasn't until I saw Timeline that I understood what was wrong with Walk Hard. Well wrong is harsh, I mean to really say I finally understood why I didn't enjoy WH. The idea behind WH is hysterical... a film with no subtext whatsoever mocking out biopics like Ray and Walk the Line. It has a great comedic cast and terrific songs. Really, really good songs. But it is done in such a forced over the top manner that it didn't tickle my funny bone. It had some laughs and yes I wanted to be in on the joke but it was just too much and too forced. Then I saw Timeline. Now Richard Donner et al know how to make comedy gold out of no subtext. This film has such fine lines as "We've got 650 years of knowledge on these guys. If we put our heads together, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to get out of here and home in 20 minutes." and "So are you saying that they could be stuck back there forever?" and "We just step on that machine and wiz back to 1357? " Gold I tell you. The film is made so earnestly with tons of special effects, Caleb Deschanel's world class cinematography, and completely without subtext. The effect is pure entertainment. Walk Hard was forced, Timeline goes down like sugar. Funnier than the WH motion picture is the Fresh Air episode where John C. Reilly and Jake Kasdan discuss the film with Terry Gross. Terry laughs non-stop and the songs are very funny. The episode seems to prove the idea of the film is funnier than the film itself.
Memorable moment in Walk Hard: Dewey cutting his brother in half.
Memorable moment in Timeline: Gerard Butler taking his shirt off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home