Saturday, November 11, 2006

Marie Antoinette


This film really threw me. As I sat in the theatre watching it I was entranced and in awe. The next day I really did not know if I liked it, but I could not stop thinking about it. How do I feel about it now? I loved it. I love the quiet way Sophia Coppola sets a scene and with Versailles as her visual palette she sets some awesome scenes. In costume and set design the film is definitely a period piece, but in music and attitude it is modern. Though these two should clash they work very well together. Recently I tooled through an exhibit of Rembrandt sketches at the Metropolitan Museum of Art while listening to a mix of David Bowie, Oasis, Elvis Costello, Pulp and more on my MP3 player as others around me listened to the museum’s narrative about the Master’s works. I had one of the best museum experiences ever looking at the works for what they were while being immersed in music I love. This film does the same thing but with far more thought in linking the two. The anachronistic soundtrack totally complements the visuals and the narrative. I am a big fan of Lost in Translation and her short film Lick the Star. Coppola is doing something new in film storytelling and it’s very refreshing.
Favorite moment: The opening credits and sequence.
77

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home