Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Pledge

I was really caught off-guard by this film. Even though I had seen the trailers I really didn’t grasp what it was about until I finished watching it. I love that it’s not a typical American crime melodrama (see “Mystic River”) and that it has instead a European sensibility (see “Insomnia”). Jack Nicholson is great as the retired policeman who gets caught up in his pledge. He has a terrific supporting cast including Helen Mirren, Benicio Del Toro, Aaron Eckhart, Vanessa Redgrave, Mickey Rourke, Sam Shepard, Harry Dean Stanton, and Patricia Clarkson. These are just the supporting actors! Robin Wright Penn plays the female lead and is awesome opposite Jack. Sean Penn directs and though I feel like I should say the film is flawed I can’t think how it is. It works so well. I love the work Sean Penn has done as an actor and as a director and I think he is an unsung American treasure.
Favorite moment: Jerry wading through a flock of turkeys to tell the Larsen’s about their daughter.
17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home